Friday, October 17, 2008

Create Your Own Website

I have seen many "Build Your Own Website" providers, and they vary in quality of service and technology.

When I was directed to Create Your Own Website, I was naturally skeptical. I was convinced that either the design of the templates would be inferior or the content management system would be too difficult for an amateur to figure out.

Thankfully, they had a free trial that I signed up for and played around with for a few hours. Here is what I discovered:

The Content Management System is actually quite easy to figure out. However, I still suggest that you learn the basics of HTML for the full benefit of this system. It will be much harder for you to figure out this system if you don't have basic knowledge of HTML Programming.

The design and templates aren't bad, but not very good. However, the beauty of this is that, when you sign up, they give you FREE Professional Design! When you request this, you get a more professional and unique look for your website.

Here's an example of a few designs that I was impressed with:


While I advocate the use of web development and design software, or content management systems, I still strongly urge you to learn HTML before attempting this, or at least resolve to learn as you're designing your site to ensure the most professional web presence and most creative freedom you can get!

The best deal I think comes with this is that you get the website for less than $10.00 per month, and you get a free designer on top of that. That's HUGE! Professional design can cost you hundreds of dollars! With this system, you get a professional web designer and you still control your website content and files.

You also get a FREE domain name, which is also a huge bonus. But you're free to host your domain name on a different server if that is your choice. In fact, I recommend that in almost every situation. However, to start with, I say go with this deal as a whole, to limit startup costs, and upgrade slowly over time as your site improves and generates the income you're looking for.

Try it out. There's a 10 day free trial. And be sure to let me know how you like it! Please post comments on your personal experience with Create Your Own Website.

No comments: